10 under 40

 Today I have accomplished something... First some background.

Growing up and a few times as an adult I ran the BolderBoulder, a huge 10k road race which takes place in Boulder Colorado.  It is a pretty large race and there are people are divided into waves for start time which are determined by how fast you are.  The last time I ran the race, I was in wave AB, which comes after the A and AA wave.  I found out that in order to run in the A wave, you have to be able to do a 10k in under 40 minutes.  And thats when an item on my lifetime bucket list was born, I wanted to run a 10k in under 40 minutes. The last time I ran this particular race I "trained" for it, which really only meant that I started running more frequently.  And I was only able to pull off a 43:30. Not quite the sub 40 I had dreamed.  I have run most of my life but not seriously.  I always thought I was a fast runner, but I didn't run cross-country in highschool (it was at the same time as Tennis, which I love more), and I didn't do track (it was at the same time as swimming - which I did because my brother was doing swimming).  So I guess it was time to get serious

Fast forward to the February this year when suddenly (due to the pandemic) I had a LOT more time to pursue some of my dreams. I made a goal to start actually training.  This time training meant timing myself. I makes a HUGE difference when you run with a clock, instead of just going out to run.  I have been pushing myself pretty hard over the past 6 months trying to get my mile times down.  I made a goal to run everyday (except Sunday) at least 2 miles, and I have succeeded in this nonstop for about 50 days now, and almost perfect for the month previous. (I'm 50 days into a goal program I created for myself called 100 days of Dallas, I'll probably post about that another day). I really wanted to test my training in an an actual road race, but they have all been cancelled all over Maryland for the next few months.  So I just decided I would just try it, see how I do, by myself. 

Saturday Morning, I woke up early, plotted the perfect course, ate my perfect race diet that week before, even had my family come out to cheer me on at the finish line.  At 8 am, I started out to break a personal record.   I started hard and I felt great.  I was hitting all of my times the first three miles and I thought that this could be it, the 10 under 40 I had dreamed of.  But right around mile 2.5, I started to feel a great need to use a bathroom, so much so that I knew I could not go on.  At the exact half way point I stopped at a port-a-potty on a construction site.  Even though I ended up running the 10k in 38:50, it didn't count because I stopped my watch while I was in the potty.  So, the rest of the day on Saturday and all of Sunday I sulked about my missed opportunity and decided I would just have to train hard this week and try again in two weeks to give me adequate time to recover from this attempt.   

Then today, I was going to go for a typical training run, 6 miles alternating race-pace and slow-pace, but when I started running, my second mile was actually just under race pace and I thought to myself, perhaps I could forego the wait, and beat the time today.  Maybe I would get an injury between now and then or perhaps the weather would turn to cold to run and my dream would be dead forever, so I buckled down and ran my little heart out.  The course I chose was NOT ideal, as it had taller hills and gained elevation.  I ate too much before I ran and I was still a little tired from my attempt two day earlier, but I just kept thinking in my head "40 minutes of pain and you could be done with this thing!"  So, I did it, 40 minutes of pain, and I was a lot harder than my run on Saturday, but at the end of it all, I just made the time! So thats it, my great triumph, 10k under 40 minutes and I have lived to tell the tale. So next time I run the BolderBoulder, A wave here I come!

"No Trophies, No flowers, No flashbook, No Line, he is haunted by something he can not define.......He's going the distance, He's going for speed, he's all alone (all alone) in a time of need....because he's racing, he's pacing, he's plotting the course, he's fighting, he's bitting, he's riding on his horse...

...He's going the distance!"

Here is a screen shot from my Garmin watch app showing my course and time!  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dallas Dream of Cherry Pie!

Dallas Dreams of Chilled Grapefruit Meringue Pie

Book Review: The Name of the Wind