Book Review: Siddhartha
I finished the book Siddhartha by Hermann Hasse:
I not very smart with philosophy, religion, etc, but I think it good for me to occasionally read books which explore how we might find peace throughout our lives from various perspectives.
This book details the life of Siddhartha, a boy who grew up with a father who taught him how to find peace through a particular set of rituals and beliefs. At some point he decides he may be better off finding his way living in the forest, giving up all of his possessions and fasting everyday, thereby making it easier to free himself from the world and worldly-ness. He finds times in this lifestyle where he feels like he is able to escape and find some type of spiritual transcendence, but can never seem to make it stick. Eventually he meets a Buddha who has found peace. And even though Siddhartha knows that this Buddha has "made it" decides to not become one of his pupils. Instead he gives up his life of starving in the forest for a worldly life in the city, wearing fancy close, taking a lover and making big money. He is very successful at business and able to gain money quickly. At first he lives in the world, but doesn't buy into its glamour, but slowly over time, the world seeps into him and he find himself much less fulfilled then he had ever been when he was poor and starving. After this worldly venture and one days leaves everything behind and works with a man who ferries people across the river. Here is where Siddhartha truly find peace. He "learns from the river" everything he needs.
That is a pretty rough sketch of the story line, but the real value in the book is the description of how these different lifestyles have effected him and shaped him into his final form. The final pages are a sermon he gives to an old friend who finds him on the river. He explains that really no man can give you wisdom, he can teach you knowledge but they cannot convey the most important things and feeling for life, living, and reaching Nirvana. This is why he had rejected teachers through his life, because he knows that only experience could impart wisdom. It was a real "everyone must make their own path," I think, conclusion.
I enjoyed reading though it even though I did not understand everything. I often found myself asking myself if I could benefit from more time meditating and reflecting on my own path. I think I could use some more inner stillness and tranquility. Perhaps also I should do more fasting? Anyway, some portions were written very beautifully and I especially like the description of how he was sucked into a worldly way of thinking, and how he felt when he finally got out.
Well, I did a pretty poor job summing up and explaining this book. I guess you just have to read it for yourself? Find you own path?

Comments
Post a Comment